Life on Cruise Control

Like many young adults, my life has been a series of milestones and next steps.  Because of this, I feel the most energized when I am tackling the next big life goal.  I have loved planning for, working toward and building my life.  I worked hard at school and went to college; I graduated and started a career, which I have changed and optimized over time.  I have bought and sold several houses, and worked on numerous projects to get them where I want them.  I found my husband, married him and started a family, with parenting a whole project on it's own. 

While none of this work is done - all of these things take constant work - I can feel a change in life's journey.  It is a settling in, a focus on maintaining and nurturing the things you have achieved to this point, with little or no "new" milestones.  I find myself looking for "next steps" - do I need a new house, do I want another kid, should I look for additional work?  The answer to all of these is probably no, but it is what I am conditioned for. 

Now don't get me wrong, safety and security are wonderful and lead to a great deal of happiness.  The feeling of chugging along on your route, not without any difficulties or pit stops, but generally doing what you'd like and heading in a direction you choose are great. I have heard many times before that your 30's are the best decade and I certainly can't complain to this point. 

I'm just noting that there is less bracing for change and more enjoying the small things.  Anyone else feel that way about this mid-life stage?

Thoughts of the day...

Comments

Popular Posts