Girl, Wash Your Face - Takeaways

A group of ladies in my area have an online book club going on right now and our book is by Rachel Hollis, owner of The Chic Site, entrepreneur, and writer of Girl, Wash Your Face.  I do love a good "you can do it" book and this one fits right in there.  Specifically, she is a young working mom, and in the book she goes through lies she has told herself through the years and how she has dealt with these lies so she can live a true and happy life.

I think that these books spark great ideals, but sometimes it can be hard to keep focus on them without writing them down.  In no particular order, here are my main takeaways!

Reminders: These are things I truly already know, but they were reiterated in the book again:

  • Only you can make yourself happy. 
  • If you want to make a change, start right this minute.  There is no better time to start.
  • You don't know someone else's story - believe they are trying their best.
  • Speak your goals into existence and persistently pursue them. 

New Thoughts: These are things that were phrased in a different way that was new and interesting to me. Sometimes framing things in a new light is all it takes. 

  • Don't break a promise to yourself.  I, like others, try hard to do something for someone else if I've told them I would.  I will be there at 4pm.  I will bring fruit to the party.  I will volunteer at school on Tuesday.  Rarely would I not do those things.  But when it comes to things I promise myself - how often do I cancel?  I will work out on Monday.  Well, unless I feel sick, or tired, or have something better to do or am just plain lazy.  That is a broken promise and Rachel tells us to treat ourselves with the same respect we treat others and not break our own promises!  Don't over commit - but do what you say you will do.
  • Learn to stop comparing. The urge to stop comparing yourselves to others is three pronged.  One, get to the bottom of your own insecurities, so you can view others with clear eyes.  Two, police your own judgements in your head.  Be in control of your thoughts and make sure they are factual and kind. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it! Three, find other people who are like you - or like who you want to be!  This is the hardest one for me.  I like to have a lot of people in my life, especially ones who are striving for their own goals, but it can be hard to find.
  • Don't let others judge your own life. Look at the evidence around you to assess how things are going in your life.  Often we rely on our thoughts in our heads to come to conclusions on "how things are going."  But take a minute to look around.  Do the people you interact with seem happy? Are your kids thriving? Are you doing the things you want to be doing?  If the answer is no, then set about a plan to make concrete changes. But if the answer is yes, then pat yourself on the back and let go of the judgements and comparisons that you should be doing anything differently.  
  • Embrace chaos in your life.  I generally feel like I do. I like to have a lot going on, and when it's not I look for more.  But she frames it slightly differently that you must offset this chaos with two things.  One, friends in the midst of similar chaos that you can relate to.  Two, by asking for help.  Let the kids stay at the gym daycare so you can get a workout in.  Take someone up on their offer to take the kids home.  Get an already roasted chicken from the grocery store so you don't have to roast your own.  But most importantly, don't feel guilty about any of it!
She ends the book with the idea that there is no one out there to save you.  We are all in charge of our own life and we already have everything we need to take charge and shape it into exactly what we want it to be.  She encourages her readers to stop waiting for someone to come fix things and get ahold of their lives.  It's a great message!  

Comments

Popular Posts