So You Want to...Evolve?

I am now a whopping five posts into my "blog" and I decided to take a quick minute to decipher why I decided to write any of this to begin with? I mean, let's face it, I am not an expert in any subject, I am terrible at lengthy research, I am not making strong, controversial arguments (in fact, I am purposefully avoiding them).  In addition, I am avoiding exploiting my husband and children through agonizing analysis which they do not deserve, so the only topic left is myself.

My next natural conclusion was that this is a self-indulgent attempt to garner praise and attention that I must feel I am missing in my every day life.  I must be a real narcissist to think that others would be interested in hearing my opinions and thoughts on a random assortment of topics.  Generally a stream of consciousness, I am trying to avoid editing what I write other than for basic grammar and understanding, to keep it authentic with my thoughts.

Then I read a blog this morning about success that spoke to me on this very topic.  The blog stated

"Success is continuously improving 
who you are, how you live, 
how you serve, and how you relate." 

In this first third of my life I've checked a lot of conventional boxes: finished school, started a career, married my love, bought a few houses, had a few children. I am so proud of all of those things and they have brought me such happiness.  But life is a journey and an evolution and as I am growing up (am I grown up yet?) I want to make sure I am successful in every way possible. Part of that is knowing myself on a deeper level, which will make me a better wife, mother, employee, daughter, general human in society, etc. See how this is all just a full circle?

One facet of adulthood, and also motherhood, is that even though you can be so busy, it can also be lonely.  It is a strange thing to experience, and I know a common thread among others my age.  I miss spending eight hours a day with my friends doing nothing but chatting and playing.  These casual encounters are what forms close bonds, which is why so many strong friendships are born during our adolescent years, when we have more TIME to devote to them.

I am an extrovert and being around other people is essential to my happiness.  I don't just crave being in the same room as them (although in a pinch that will do), but my favorite is to have real conversations about real topics, not just gossip, the children, sports schedules, etc.  So, I have determined, since that is something I crave, but cannot always have, this blog is a place for me to start some of these types of conversations, even if they are just with myself.

I hope that by writing a public journal, in some ways, I can create connections with others.  Maybe something I say will resonate with someone else, and we can all feel just a tiny bit closer in this big world? I am a little fearful that I am just inviting criticism for myself; that I am asking others to judge me and won't like the results.  Getting out of your comfort zone is where growth happens though, right?

Thoughts for the day....

Comments

Popular Posts