Extroverts and Opinions

In the aftermath of all the horror from Las Vegas, many people are once again rethinking their stances on a variety of issues.  For some, I think each event causes them to dig their heels in, more determined in their viewpoint than ever.  But for many, I think that they do reflect on their viewpoints, wondering if there is a better way.  I know for me personally, gun control, mental health and other related and pressing issues are ever evolving viewpoints, where it is difficult for me to see what the exact answer is.  To what extent should government regulate society, and on the flip side, to what extent does government have a responsibility to support and also protect society.

For me, as an extrovert, I want people to speak, talk and write out what they think.  I take all of this information in, and talk it back out, eventually honing in on a clear thought.  This means that the first thing I say is usually not my actual opinion, its a test - throw it out there and see if it can be defended.  If I can't defend it, I determine it isn't the best answer, and try something new.  This goes on and on until I feel like I can both accurately describe my position and smartly defend it.  This also means I often play devil's advocate, trying to see both sides of any position to see if it's a strong stance or not. I like conversation and debate, for someone else to give me their point of view so I can step in their shoes for a minute.  At first, I may disagree with something, but over time, I begin to empathize and support their position.  Or, at the very least, I clarify my position on the other side.

For many other people, and certainly many introverts, they form their own opinion much like I do, through listening and reading and thinking, but they never say anything until they arrive at the end.  They wait and reflect.  When they do finally state an opinion, it should be noted, because it will be given without defense and is hard to change.

I appreciate and respect this and grip on to any thought expressed. Mostly because they are so few and far between but I will admit it's all a bit of a mystery to me.  How can you figure out the best answer if there is no input other than your own? I have no idea how to come to an opinion on my own, I need to learn from others.  How do I do that if I don't ask what they think or talk through different options?   I recognize that debating everything is tiresome and annoying at times, but I just don't know how to figure out what I think otherwise.

I would ask an introvert, but they would just change the subject to avoid the discussion, ha!

Thoughts for the day....

Comments

Popular Posts