Peaceful Office Makeover

When we first moved into our current house, I was five months pregnant with our first baby.  Setting up a nursery was very important.  We didn't know if we were having a boy or a girl, so we went with a yellow and gray theme.  Fast forward three babies later and the nursery was a well used space in our house.  It was the first bedroom for all three of our little pumpkins.  I have spent so many hours nursing and sleeping in the gray recliner.  I've changed so many diapers at the changing table. And turned on lullabies every night for over five years.




But life moves along of course! When Claire came along, the boys moved into a room together, which they love, and she was in the nursery.  Also around this time I switched to working from home, which I used our back bedroom for.  Earlier this year, after Claire was reliably sleeping through the night and I didn't need to go to her room so often, I decided to decorate a room just for her.  So, I moved my office into the old nursery.  I spent the first half of this year working in a half nursery/half office.  Finally, I decided to transform this space into an office I love.  The yellow was just too bright and there were pencil cups mixed in with rattles.  It didn't feel cohesive at all!

I decided, since it's my office, to paint it my favorite color - green! Here is a shot of the office from the door walking in:


It's difficult to tell but the back wall is actually a darker green than the rest of the room.  I didn't want the whole room to be too dark, but I really loved the color.  I went with Benjamin Moore Jojoba for the back wall and Croquet for the rest of the room.  I was not impressed with the quality of the paint and the coverage for the price, but I do love the colors.




Here is another shot of my workspace.  I already had my desk and chair.  I repurposed shelves from Caleb's old bedroom, and if you look at the nursery pictures you will see the same LOVE letters.  They match with almost any theme and bring a little color.  They were originally from Anthropologie.  The bird picture was moved from the nursery as well. 

To add a little more zen like feel, I knew I needed some greenery.  The plant hangers are from Amazon and were hung easily.  Keeping the plants alive may not be so easy, but I'm trying to remember to water the poor things!









Looking a little closer at the details.  I added some copper accents with the basket and candle holders.  I found a colorful succulent to add to the bookshelf as well.  On the large wall behind my chair I kept with the macrame theme and strung a long woven curtain along the wall.




As for the other corners of the room, I used one space to add personal pictures.  I love using the clothespins because I can so easily add or change the pictures.  I keep some old favorites and always print a few new ones to add as well.  For the window wall, I stole the curtains from my bedroom to add some nice filtered light into the room.  To the other side, I repurposed part of the changing table to add some storage to the space and added a mirror. I kept my favorite gray recliner and created a reading nook with my bookcase. 




Overall, I feel like the office has such a calmer feel.  The grays and greens are very soothing and the whole room feels a lot more cohesive and organized. It is a much better place to work!  The other good news is that aside from some paint and a few items, the whole room is made up of things I already had.  I love seeing something new from mixing and matching items around the rest of the house!

Hopefully this inspires you to finish off a room you've been meaning to get to.  You will love your home that much more!

Thoughts of the day...

Comments

Popular Posts